We've had it with VB script. We've been using Visual Studio 2005 Standard installation projects for a few years, and we needed some custom setup that was outside the standard abilities of the install projects. So I wrote some '.vbs' files to perform these actions. Things like copying config files that were different for every customer, and copying a data directory that might have different stuff in it. We have had so many failures of these scripts, that I'm switching installers completely - to InnoSetup.
Virus checkers would block the scripts from executing. The script would fail to set permissions properly. If there was some dust on the DVD, it would fail to copy the data, and roll back the whole install. And the only error message it could report is 'A script needed by this installer failed....' with no useful information.
I'm planning to follow up with information about what I've discovered about InnoSetup. So far, it's all good.